Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday thunderstorms

The weather changed big time this morning. Since the forecast wind direction was lousy for my blind setup I decided to take a long hike in darkness to setup in a ditch close to the bedding area. The last 50 yards was on my hands and knees. The big clump of grass that I was using for cover all of sudden started to wiggle and I quickly put it into reverse. Wether it was the hike or the thoughts of sharing my hiding spot with a big snake in the dark, I started sweating profusely. Just as it was getting light enough to make out the images of bedded Antelope I felt the wind hit the back of my neck. Two does jumped to their feet, started snorting and the whole herd headed for the hills. After an hour of glassing I spotted the herd of six bucks bedded about a mile up the mountain in a safe location. The thunderstorms started blowing in and the winds were swirling in all directions. After another hour watching bedded Antelope and wind and rain blowing in all directions, I decided to back out and let everything settle down. Tomorrow looks like a better wind day and a nap sounds pretty good. Chalk up another point for the Antelope.

No comments: