Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 6 and a half

It's Friday and I'm starting to scramble. Thursday started at 4 AM and by 5:15 I was in position in a ditch ready to ambush a good buck that was feeding in the field with four little bucks. I knew the rancher was going to move his wheel line about mid morning so the plan was to ambush them when they exited the field using their normal route. The wind was perfect but what I didn't expect was a buck trying to enter the field from the back side. For the next couple of hours he twice feed up to within 70 yards, would sense my presence, snort and move back up the hill. Each snort would alert the bucks in the field that something was up and when Carl showed up to move the wheel line they headed my direction only a few hundred yards. I was laying in the direct sun for hours and I was using a spray bottle to keep my camo wet. The small buck caught my movement during a wet down session and blew up the mountain spooking everything in the field. At 11AM I was toasted and walked the mile back to the truck and headed back to camp to rehydrate.

We spent the evening watching the herd and putting them to bed and making plans for this morning.

The plan this morning was to get to the field at daybreak, located the herd and the targeted bucks and then choose a ambush point. The problem was the wind was blowing from the west which messed up my entry paths to the back of the ranch. The weather report indicated a 180 change at 11am so we decided to check out the other ranch and try to locate the buck that got away on Tuesday. No luck ythere and when we returned, Carl had just started a pump in the back field. Unfortunately all the Antelope were on top of the hill. I decided to set in the middle of the field in the shade of the pivot and wait for them to return. It's time out for a minute because a nice buck and his girls just crawled under the fence and is entering the field. Say tuned

No comments: