Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 5

Here's the plan. I've notice three of the last four days that the twins spend the night out on the flat and mom and Tagalong bed somewhere below the dam or in the triangle just north of the back pivot. At sunrise mom has slipped under the fence about 200 yards to the west of my blind and trotted out looking for her kids. They generally reunite about 300 yards north of my blind, nurse for a minute and then bed down for a short time. Tagalong on the other hand lags behind until after the reunion and then makes a Bee Line to join up for the trek up the hill. Depending on his location in the fields and the reunion spot, his path crosses the wing dam and close to my blind. On day 1 he came over the wing dam 125 yards to my east. On day 4, when I was in the ditch, he crossed very close and maybe within shooting range. 

This morning I parked at the upper dam and followed the fence line to my blind hoping  not to spook Tagalong that I assume would be bedded between my blind and the back pivot. At first light a was scanning the flat looking for the twins and sure enough after fifteen minutes I spotted them bedded by themselves about 300 yards north. Thirty minutes latter they get up and slowly start feeding to my left. When they both came to attention I knew my plan had started to roll. Mom shows up for the reunion on schedule, the twins nurse and browse out to the 200 yard mark. Mom comes to alert looking at the wing dam just to my right. I get my bow ready, quickly review my yardages down the bank and anticipate my next move. The hair starts to raise on the back of my neck when I and hear the soft crunching of the grass behind me on the levee. My hands started to tremble and I had to control my breathing in fear of Tagalong hearing my almost uncontrollable body functions. I took a deep breath, exhaled slowly, relaxed and readied myself when the sunflowers began to wiggle and out popped a damn coyote at 15 yards. Crap, all that adrenalin for nothing.  I quickly realized that if the coyote came by me Tagalong certainly wouldn't follow the same path. I was right because ten minutes Tagalong slipped under the fence 200 yards to my left and met up with girlfriend and twins. 

It's been an hour and a half and I've been watching the foursome feed across the hill and finally bed down in their normal spot. It's time to plan a new strategy. 

No comments: