Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 3

I don't know where to start. Day 3 was a pretty exciting day. I forgot my phone in the trailer and had to make a mad dash back and still made it to my new ambush site before daybreak. After watching the two bucks for a couple of days they seem to stick to a somewhat predictable pattern.  I realized this pattern yesterday afternoon and finished off the day with a two hour 600 yard stalk down a wet and muddy ditch that splits the middle of the three pivot fields.  I was in position and getting ready to range the smaller buck when Tagalong (the larger buck that follows his girlfriend and kids everywhere) came out of nowhere and chased the little guy all the way to the end of the ranch. On the way back to camp I devised a plan to ambush the bucks when they crossed the ditch from the alphalfa field to the grass field. 

At daybreak I was in position, laying in a grassy ditch behind a big clump of grass that gave me cover. The only problem was Tagalong was already in the field and girlfriend was up on the flat behind my blind. It was like they had a date for breakfast in the back pivot which was not part of my plan. 

Carl arrived to change the water and swoosh, Girlfriend and kids headed to the top of the hill with Tagalong close behind. They bedded down for the rest of the morning and I knew they wouldn't start their pattern until Carl finished his work. Now it's starting to get hot laying in a ditch that has come alive with ants and spiders. Tagalong is bedded probably a mile up the mountain but is looking down on his little kingdom with eight power eye balls. I know that the pattern will start when Carl leaves the field but its close to lunch time before he is finished. 

Thank God the clouds blew in a cooled things off but for some reason my antelope were lazy today. Here I am tucked up under some overhanging grass talking to Tadd on the phone when they get up and start the trek down the hill. A half hour later they are on the pattern to the tee. They entered the field  on the far side of the pivot which put a wall of water spray between us. I guess antelope don't like showers because when they decided move to the grass field they made a big loop around the end of the pivot and crossed my ditch out of range. 

Now they are 200 yards in the grass and I'm pondering a backup move when Tagalong comes to attention looking over my right shoulder and up the hill. To my surprise little buck is right on the same pattern. I was practicing mental telepathy  saying " enter on this side of the pivot" and it worked. Antelope with an arrow is not easy so I made the decision to take little guy if the opportunity arose. It was like he was on a string. My first range was 130 yards, then 112, then he is walking in a straight line right at me. I slipped down the edge of the bank readied my bow and peaked my head up and he's looking right at me. Damn why could he have been 25 yards to the left. 

Busted. My first reaction was to dip back down in the ditch and give him a minute to hopefully forget he was looking in the eyes of death. Yea right. I slowly raised back up and nothing. Where did he go?  I peaked a little higher and he is now down wind to my right at 80 yards.  The next ten minutes was a stare down that I won because he broke first and walked south towards the main road. 

I was hoping that he would exit the field and head up the hill so i could head back to camp but the crazy little guy marched down the field about 300 yards and bedded down. He is now bedded within shooting range of the ditch I'm laying in. What the heck it's only 300 yards. After 200 yards Carl decided to work on the back pump, drove his tractor down the edge of the field and ended another fruitless stalk. I needed a beer anyway. 

Three beers later and I've got a plan for Tagalong. Be back tomorrow. 

No comments: