Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Smokey Last Seen Headed North


Do I Smell a Bear........





Boy has it been smokey in the Almanor Basin! Even old Smokey is making tracks looking for clean air. Herb came up and helped me move my trail camera to a new location today and to my surprise I captured a photo of my first bear on June 26th. This spot appears to be a good one so I will put up a tree stand next week and then let the area settle down for a week or two before I sneak in and try to get some video of one of the six bucks that frequent this trail. We set up the camera on a promising spot about three miles west, next to a nice stream with plenty of mosquitoes. It looks promising except for all the mosquitoes. I'll post more photos next week when I check it again.

The fires south of us are sending lots of smoke our way and with the wind kicking up in the afternoons the air quality sucks. We keep the windows closed until it starts to cool off and by morning the air is OK for outdoor activities. I hear that they are using Smokejumpers on the Cub Fire. I think they should just set a back fire on the Pacific Crest Trail and burn up the hole canyon. I talked to a couple of Forest Service guys today an they said that the fire was staying on the ground a doing a lot of good for the forest. Just hope the wind doesn't switch to the north and start blowing 40 mph. Stay tuned.


No comments: